I LOVE Indian food, but when you’re on a diet it’s can be pretty self-destructive to head to your local takeaway or restaurant. Curries can be high in fat and to get a really good one can be pretty time consuming if you’re making them from scratch, and the jars come with syns attached! Also there’s a massive temptation when you have all that lovely sauce to mop it up with a nan bread, more syns! A great way to get that Indian flavour without tempting yourself into consuming extra syns is to make your own chicken tikka or tandoori, which is really quick if you’re using a ready-made spice mix.
This recipe is a great one to prepare in the morning (or the night before) and let the chicken absorb all the lovely flavours, then just pop into the oven at night and have a delicious syn free meal on Slimming World Extra Easy in under 45 mins. Great served with rice or a baked potato and salad.
When the spring/summer actually arrives (if ever – has there actually been a white Easter before?!) you could even cook or finish these on the barbecue.
Chicken thighs – 2 per person (skinned with any visible fat removed)
Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
Tandoori seasoning – 2-3 tablespoons
Equipment: Baking dish, tin foil, wire rack/trivet
- Coat the chicken in the lemon juice and then season with the tandoori mix, coating well.
- Cover and put in the fridge until an hour before needed. Turn in marinade occasionally if you want.
- Cover with tin foil and place in a preheated oven (200°C/Fan 180°/Gas 6) for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take out the chicken and pour the juices into a mug.
- Place the wire rack in the baking dish, put the chicken on top and pour the juices back over the chicken.
- Put in the oven, uncovered, for another 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.