Christmas is the time to go to town and make your own gravy from scratch. It’s easier than you think and gives really tasty results. This recipe is for goose, but you can use the same method for turkey or other poultry.
Giblets (neck, heart and gizzard, not the liver)
Water or chicken stock
Onions – 2 (quartered)
Celery – 1 stick (chopped)
Carrot – 1 (chopped)
Black peppercorns – about half a dozen
Plain flour – 2 tablespoons
Corn flour (optional for thicker gravy) – a tablespoon mixed with a little water
- Brown the giblets in a large saucepan. Add a litre/2 pints of hot water or stock. Bring to the boil and skim off any scum.
- Add the vegetables and seasoning, and simmer for an hour. Strain, then cool and store in fridge until the roast is ready.
- While the bird is resting after cooking, remove all but one tablespoon of fat from the roasting tin.
- Put the roasting tin on the hob (medium heat), gradually add the plain flour and whisk constantly for a few minutes.
- Pour in the giblet stock (about half a pint per 4 people). Bring to the boil, and simmer for a few minutes, season. If you want a thicker gravy add corn flour and simmer until desired consistency.