Beef ribs – 2lb/900g (well trimmed of fat)
Onion – 1 (cut into 8 wedges)
Garlic – 3 bulbs (thickly sliced)
Seasoning – Pepper and dried mixed herbs
Salt – a good sprinkle
Balsamic vinegar – 4fl oz/125 ml
Chilli flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
Equipment: Chopping board, knife, baking dish, saucepan, spatula, tin foil, trivet/wire rack
- Place the ribs in the baking dish and season with the pepper and herbs.
- Add the onion and garlic, cover and leave to infuse for a few hours in the fridge. Remove the dish from the fridge an hour before cooking.
- Uncover, season with salt and place in a hot oven (210°C/Fan 190°C/Gas 7) while you make the balsamic glaze.
- Put the balsamic vinegar and chilli flakes into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until reduced by half.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and pour over the balsamic glaze, adding a little extra water to get the last out of the pan.
- Cover the ribs with tin foil and return to the oven lowered to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3. Baste every half hour if you want to.
- After 1½ hours remove the ribs from the baking dish and pour the juices into a mug. Put the trivet in the baking dish, place the ribs on top and pour the juices bag over the meat.
- Return to the oven and cook uncovered for 20 minutes on 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5.