This is an easy supper recipe to use up some leftover roast chicken. It took fairly little prep and was really tasty. If you’re trying to be a bit healthier you could swap the cheese for some fresh tarragon for a low fat flavour burst.
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Banana shallots – 2 (diced)
Garlic – 2 cloves (minced)
Mushrooms – 2 (sliced & halved)
Arborio rice – 5oz/150g
Butter – 1oz/30g
Stock – 1 pint/600ml (hot – I keep mine warm on another hob)
Roast chicken – 7oz/200g or however much you have (shredded)
Blue cheese (I used Yorkshire blue) – 4oz/120g (cubed)
Seasoning – black pepper, chilli flakes, and oregano
Equipment: Large pan, small pan, chopping board, knife, garlic crusher, wooden spoon
- Heat the oil in the large pan over a medium heat and add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms.
- Heat the stock in the small pan.
- When the vegetables have softened but not coloured add the butter and rice. Stir around and warm through for 2 minutes before adding about a third of the stock.
- Let the stock come to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When all the stock has been absorbed add another third and repeat the process.
- With the third lot of stock add the shredded chicken and seasoning. Cover for 2-3 minutes to allow chicken to warm through, the remove lid and allow the stock to be absorbed and evaporate.
- When the rice is just about ready stir in the cheese and allow to melt through the risotto.