Everyone loves proper fried Homemade Chips, but they’re often the first thing to get knocked on the head when you’re on a diet. Deep fried food is a dieter’s nemesis, so bad for you, so many calories, but so very tasty.
Over the last few years there’s been a revolution in kitchen gadgets, and air fryers have been developed by many of the top brands, so you can have your favourite foods at a fraction of the calories. For Christmas I got a Tefal ActiFry. It sat in the box for a while, thinking even that probably wasn’t great for my post-Christmas health kick. Then I started Slimming World and assumed there was no way I could incorporate chips cooked in oil into my new diet without racking up loads of syns. How wrong I was! Going back over my stuff I noticed that 1 tablespoon of olive oil can be used as a healthy extra b! What do you need to make chips in the ActiFry – 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 1 kg of potatoes! Now, I realised that didn’t mean I could eat the whole kg of chips, but I could still have a decent portion of chips syn free.
If you’ve already used you’re healthy extra b 1 tablespoon of olive oil is just 6 syns, so you could have 1 portion of chips for just 1.5 syns!
I’ve used the ActiFry a number of times now, and I’ve just about perfected chips in them. The first batch weren’t quite right, so here’s a few tips:
- Long chips can get a bit broken up, so i tend to make short fattish chips, great way to use all the potatoes that a too small for jackets.
- Rinse the chips really well to get all the starch off and make sure you dry them thoroughly, otherwise they can scorch and become a bit dry.
- Put half the potatoes in the ActiFry and pour over half the oil, then add the rest of the potatoes and oil and stir to coat well with the oil.
- Keep an eye on the chips while they’re cooking, the manual says a full batch takes about 40 minutes, but I tend to find they’re cooked after 30.
- If you want your chips to stay crispy open the lid as soon as it’s finished cooking.
Potatoes – 1kg unpeeled weight (peeled & chipped)
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Equipment: Chopping board, knife, pan of water, sieve, paper towel, ActiFry
- Peel and cut the potatoes into chips, and place in a pan of cold water.
- Rinse, drain well, and dry thoroughly on paper kitchen towel.
- Put chips in the ActiFry and pour over the oil.
- Set the timer and turn the ActiFry on, the chips should be ready in about 30 minutes.