That’s right, a beef stew that is completely syn free on the Slimming World diet! This is a fantastic one-pot dish too, with lots of vegetables included in the recipe. This recipe can also be super quick, if you’re short on time you could just bung all the ingredients in the slow cooker and leave it. You can save your time later by making a big batch as I did and freezing the leftovers.
I usually add some gravy granules to my stews to get an extra-beefy flavour but these come with added syns, so for this recipe I used bovril instead.
This recipe makes about 6 portions. You could easily add more vegetables to this recipe but as I was using my medium-sized crock-pot they wouldn’t fit!
1 cal oil spray – 1 spray
Lean stewing beef – 2lb/900g (any visible fat removed) cut into chunks.
Onions – 2 (finesly diced)
Celery- 2 sticks and the heart (finely chopped)
Garlic – 3 cloves (minced)
Mushrooms – 80z/200g (slices)
Carrots – 4-5 medium (sliced)
Smallish potatoes – 8 (peeled)
Beef stock – 1 pint/500ml
Seasoning – mixed dried herbs, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of beef bovril
Equipment: Chopping board, knife, frying pan, slow cooker
- Put the beef stock in the crock-pot and set the slow cooker on high.
- Heat the frying pan with the oil and soften the onions and celery. Add the garlic and mushrooms and sautee until soft, adding a little water if necessary.
- Put all the vegetables to the crock-pot with the seasoning and leave on high.
- In the frying pan brown all the meat and add to the crock-pot.
- Turn the slow-cooker down to low and cook for about 8 hours.
- Preheat the stock before putting it into the crock-pot and set the slow cooker on high.
- Add all the ingredients to the crock-pot and leave on high for an hour, if possible.
- Turn down to low and cook for 10-12 hours.