This is a super healthy low fat recipe, especially as I used quark, a 0% fat cream cheese. Each portion contains just just 220 cals and 5g fat. It was super tasty, filling, and looks quite classy too! If you’re doing the Slimming World diet the only syn is from the parma ham, which is only about ¾ syn per slice (1.5 syns per oz).
The recipe came together completely by accident, I came home after spending the weekend at my boyfriend’s to find a pack of chicken breasts and some parma ham in the fridge. I considered making a chicken saltimbocca, but I didn’t have any fresh sage, and I didn’t think frying something in loads of olive oil was a good idea when I’m trying to healthy. I still wanted something tasty though! I had a few tubs of quark in the fridge so I decided to use that, flavoured with garlic, herbs and some celery leaves, to stuff the chicken, then oven bake it so I wouldn’t have to use any extra oil.
Chicken breasts – 4 c.6oz/160g (skinless & boneless)
Parma ham or prosciutto – 4 slices (or a piece long enough to wrap around the chicken parcel with a little excess)
Quark or cream cheese – 2-3 heaped tablespoons
Garlic – 3 cloves (minced)
Lemon juice – c.1-2 teaspoons to loosen the mix up if your cheese is thick, but don’t make it too runny
Celery leaves or any fresh herbs – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
Seasoning – salt, pepper, dried herbs
Equipment: Chopping board, bowl, spoon, paper kitchen towels, sharp knife, plate, ovenproof dish
- Mix all the ingredients, except the meats, together in a bowl and set aside.
- Wash your chicken breasts and dry thoroughly using kitchen paper. Cut off any fat or gristle.
- Put smooth side down on a chopping board and butterfly using a sharp knife. I was going to just send you to You Tube to have a look at a video of how to do this, but after checking the first two pages I only found one video showing the correct way to do it so I’m adding that. For this recipe you don’t need to flatten the breast further as demonstrated at the end of the video.
- Dollop a couple of spoonfuls of the cream cheese mix into the middle of the chicken breast, fold the sides over and then fold the the thin pointed end of the breast over towards the middle too, to make a nice rounded end on both sides.
- Place 1 piece of the Parma ham on a plate, put the folded chicken on top and wrap the ham around it.
- Repeat with the other 3 chicken breasts, place in the ovenproof dish and cover with tin foil or a lid. You can cook them straight away or put them in the fridge until needed. If your dish is glass take them out of the fridge about 1 hour before cooking to allow the breasts and the dish to come up to room temperature.
- Cook in a preheated oven (200°/Fan 180°/Gas 6) for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 15 minutes, though timings will depend on the size of your chicken breasts.