This recipe is a slight twist on my Slow Cooker Turkey Pot Roast with Vegetables & Tomato Sauce. The twist is I didn’t use a slow cooker. I cooked this at my mam’s and her slow cooker is a round medium sized one and the turkey leg was too long.
Turkey – leg & thigh (halved at the joint and skin removed)
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Shallots – 3 (finely chopped)
Garlic – 2-3 cloves (minced)
Canned tomatoes – 400g tin
Tomato puree – 1 tablespoon
Carrots – 6-8 (peeled & chopped)
Potatoes – 6 medium (peeled or not, cut into 3-4 pieces)
Mushrooms – 7oz/200g (sliced)
Seasoning – dried herbs, salt & pepper, and Worcestershire sauce
Equipment: Lidded casserole, wooden spoon, frying pan, tongs, plate, knife, serving spoon
- In the casserole heat the olive oil, add the shallots and soften.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, and seasoning.
- Meanwhile, heat some more olive oil in the frying pan and brown the turkey.
- Empty the can of tomatoes into the casserole. If using whole tomatoes break them up a bit with a spoon an warm through.
- Place the turkey on top of the veg, and put the lid on.
- Cook in a preheated (150°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3) oven for 2 hours.
- When the turkey is ready remove with tongs and separate the meat from the bones (it should fall off the bone really easily. You can freeze the bones to make stock later.