This week I decided to cook a chicken in my zingy sweet sauce in the slow cooker. The slow cooker is fast becoming my favourite way to cook a whole chicken as you know if you’ve seen some of my other posts (Tomatoey Chicken Pot Roast, Roast Chicken, and Tandoori Chicken). Again I removed all the skin, so it was low-fat, and cooked the chicken breast-side down, to keep the breast really moist and so it would absorb lots of flavour from the sauce.
This recipe makes 6-8 portions depending on the size of the chicken. Any leftover meat can be stripped from the carcass when cool, put into suitable containers with leftover vegetables and sauce and frozen. Defrost and reheat in microwave, or in the oven until piping hot.
Whole chicken – 3-4lb/1.5-2kg (depending on the size of your slow cooker), skinned
Carrots – 6-8 (peeled & chopped)
Potatoes – 3-4 medium (peeled & quartered)
Mushrooms – 1lb/450g (sliced)
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Onion – 1 (peeled & diced)
Garlic – 3 cloves (minced)
Chicken stock – ¾ pint/450ml (see Slow Cooker Chicken Stock)
Cider vinegar – 4 tablespoons
Clear honey – 3 tablespoons
Soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
Equipment: Saucepan, slow cooker
- In the saucepan heat the olive oil and soften the onion.
- Add the garlic and heat for another minute before adding the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the cider vinegar, honey and soy sauce, and simmer for a couple of minutes until it stops smelly overly of vinegar.
- Set the slow cooker on high and add the vegetables and chicken (breast-side down).
- Pour the sauce over the top and replace the lid. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or turn down to low and cook for 8-10 hours.