Another weekend, another slow cooker recipe. Why yes, I am obsessed! Who wouldn’t be? You just put all your ingredients in and forget about it for hours while you get on with your life. You don’t need to worry about anything being under or over-cooked. The slow cooker is really energy efficient too, so you save money especially it you cook something that you’d need to have the oven on for a couple of hours anyway.
I used my last chicken carcass for my Slow Cooker Chicken Stock, which then went into my Slow Cooker Zingy Sweet Pork Fillet (you see, obsessed!) and Five-A-Day Vegetable Soup, so I need to replenish my supply as I’ll be out of chicken stock soon. I’ve made a few slow cooker chicken recipes lately (Tandoori Chicken and Roast Chicken) and I wanted to do something a bit different. I decided to cook the chicken in a tomato sauce. This is a super healthy one-pot recipe, packed with vegetables, and low-fat, as I removed the skin from the chicken before cooking it.
Whole chicken – 3lb/1.5kg (skinned)
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Onions – 1 (finely chopped)
Garlic – 3 cloves (finely diced)
Mushrooms – 12oz/350g (quartered)
Tinned tomatoes – 400g can
Tomato puree – 2 tablespoons
Seasoning – salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano, Worcester sauce.
Potatoes – 1-2 per person (peeled & cut into big chunks)
Carrots – 1lb/450g (peeled & cut into a few pieces)
Equipment: Slow cooker, chopping board, knife, frying pan, wooden spoon
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan. Add the onions and soften.
- Add the garlic and mushroom and fry for a few minutes before adding the tinned tomatoes and puree.
- Stir well and season. Simmer on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Set the crock-pot to high.
- Put the vegetables in the crock-pot and place the chicken (breast side down to it stays really moist).
- Pour over the sauce, cover with lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.