After the success of my Healthier Slow Cooker Pulled Pork I decided to makeover another pork dish, Zingy Sweet Pork Casserole. With the slow cooker mean you can use leaner cuts of meat without any worry that they will dry out if you leave them in a minute too long. It’s perfect for hassle free healthy cooking. This recipe requires very little preparation too.
This recipe provides 6 good-sized portions. Extra can be frozen.
Pork fillet/tenderloin – 2.5lb/1.1kg aproox. 2 fillets (trimmed of any excess fat/sinew and halved). This is the minimum for my 5.7L crock-pot, you can double the quantity. If your crock-pot is 3.5L the maximum size joint you can use will probably be 1.5kg, but check your instruction manual.
Chicken stock – ¾ pint/450ml (see Slow Cooker Chicken Stock)
Cider vinegar – 4 tablespoons
Clear honey – 3 tablespoons
Soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
Mushrooms – 12oz/350g (sliced)
Equipment: Saucepan, slow cooker
- In the saucepan bring the chicken stock to the boil.
- Stir in the cider vinegar, honey and soy sauce, and simmer for a couple of minutes until it stops smelly overly of vinegar.
- Set the slow cooker on low and add the pork.
- Pour the sauce over the top and replace the lid.
- Cook on low for 3-5 hours.
- Halfway through the cooking time turn the meat over, and baste with the sauce.
- About 2 hours or so before the end of the cooking time add the sliced mushrooms.
- If you desire a thicker sauce, ladle some off into a saucepan, add cornflour mixed with water and simmer until desired constituency.
- Serve in a big bowl with rice or mash.