This recipe ticks all my boxes: batch cooking, healthy, easy, cheap, and tasty. I bought a large turkey wing and thigh pack from my favourite supermarket for just £4. With a few bits of veg and a tin of tomatoes (£1.50) it made a delicious, light and summer casserole that provided 6 good portions. I froze 4 portions in plastic container for later. Simply defrost and microwave for a couple of minutes until piping hot.
Turkey – leg & thigh (halved at the joint and skin removed)
Garlic – 2-3 cloves (minced)
Canned tomatoes – 400g tin
Carrots – 4-6 (peeled & chopped into 4)
Potatoes – 3 (peeled or not, cut into 3-4 pieces)
Mushrooms – 7oz/200g (quartered)
Seasoning – dried herbs, salt & pepper, and Worcestershire sauce
Equipment: Slow cooker, spoon, tongs, plate, knife, serving spoon
- Empty the can of tomatoes into the crockpot. If using whole tomatoes break them up a bit with a spoon.
- Add the garlic, carrots, potatoes, and seasoning.
- Place the turkey on top and season that too.
- Cook on high for high for 2 hours and then turn to low for another 4 hours. Alternatively cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- Two hours before the end of cooking time add the mushrooms.
- When the turkey is ready remove with tongs and separate the meat from the bones (it should fall off the bone really easily. You can freeze the bones to make stock later.
- Dish up the veg and add the meat.