This recipe for slow cooker roast chicken is super healthy because I remove most of the chicken skin before cooking (I do leave the skin on the breast though to keep it extra moist, and the end of the wings because it’s too hard to get off!). It’s also super easy and quick to prepare. This is a great one pot meal, meat, potatoes, vegetables, and gravy all cook at the same time. Cooking the chicken in the slow cooker means it won’t dry out either.
Whole chicken – 4.4lb/2kg (skin removed except from breast)
Red onions – 2 (peeled & quartered)
Garlic – 3-4 cloves (peeled & halved)
Carrots – 4 (peeled & halved)
Potatoes – 4 (You can peel this or not, I did half and half, slice into 2-3 chunks)
Seasoning – Italian seasoning, oregano, salt & pepper
Mushrooms – 8-10 (sliced)
Water – about ½”
Gravy granules – enough to thicken as you like
Equipment: Slow cooker, chopping board, knife, ladle, saucepan
- Put the onions, garlic, carrots, half the potatoes and water in the crock-pot.
- Place the chicken on top and arrange the rest of the potatoes around it. Season, cover and set to desired temperature.
- You can cook it on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- An hour before the end of the cooking time (or 2 if on low) ladle some of the excess juices into a saucepan, place the mushrooms around the bird, recover and leave for the rest of the cooking time.
- When the chicken is ready turn the slow cooker off, or switch it to the warm setting while you make the gravy.
- Skim any fat off the top of the juices, heat on a medium-hot hob until starting to boil. Add the gravy granules and simmer until desired thickness.
- Plate up the chicken and carve. Serve the veg straight from the crock-pot.