This is an easy and tasty dish that requires only a few minutes preparation. In this recipe I par-boil the potatoes and brown the sausages first, but if you’re short on time simply add a bit extra olive oil to the potatoes and mustard mix, and cook in the oven (190°/Fan 170°/Gas 5) for an hour. After 20 minutes add the sausages, coated in a little oil, when they’ve browned a bit (about another 20 minutes) coat them in the mustard and honey.
Whenever I make this recipe I generally cook extra potatoes, they’re delicious the next day as the basis of a potato salad, or can be reheated with your evening meal.
Sausages – allow 2-3 per person
New potatoes – 1kg (scrubbed & halved diagonally)
Red onion – 1 (halved & cut into 3)
Garlic – 2-3 cloves (peeled)
Olive oil – 2-3 tablespoons
Wholegrain mustard – 3-4 heaped tablespoons
Honey – 1 heaped tablespoons
Equipment: Large pan, colander, frying pan, wooden spoon, tongs, large roasting tin/baking dish
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of boiling water for 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile brown the sausages in the frying pan.
- Drain the potatoes and pour them back into the pan.
- Add the onions, garlic olive oil and 2-3 tablespoons of the mustard making sure the potatoes are well coated, and pour into the roasting tin.
- Add the sausages to the potato pan with 1 tablespoon each of honey and mustard, coat well and place alongside the potatoes.
- Drizzle any excess from the pan over the sausages and bake in a preheated oven at 190°/Fan 170°/Gas 5 for 30 minutes until the sausages are cooked through. Turn the sausages once halfway through cooking.